Sitting within parkland to the South-East of the City of Cambridge, Cherry Hinton Hall was built in 1839 by John Okes, a local surgeon, for himself and family. A handsome house constructed in a Gothic Revival style, it has been extended and altered several times, and in 1968 became the property of City Council.
Cherry Hinton Hall was listed Grade II on 19 September 2002. In 2008 CIS established its independent school at Cherry Hinton Hall for children aged 3 to 12.
The aim of this project was to upgrade the building fabric, restore the character of the listed building and provide a modern facility appropriate for an early year’s nursery and infant school. Chadwickdryerclarke studio provided a masterplan design which improved circulation and facilities and provides an exciting cohesive learning environment. Our solution was to demolish several 20th century extensions thus freeing up the external area for a more considered landscape, provide a link to the cottage from the main building, create an early year’s courtyard area with a covered learning area, and a new single storey multi-purpose building.